From Angelyn’s Blog
St. James Square was already beginning to pall as a fashionable area by the time of the Regency. Yet the simple, classically styled No. 10 survived to become, by virtue of its occupants alone, a salon rivalling any in Kensington and Berkely Square.
No. 10 was purchased by Sir William Heathcoate, a merchant elevated to the peerage. He married the only daughter of his neighbor in no. 11, the Earl of Macclesfield and one-time Regent of Great Britain. His family owned the house until 1890.
During that period, the house was leased to a variety of renters, the first being William Pitt the Elder. When he was Secretary of State, he conducted government business in the house and one time from his bed when he was ill. The Prime Minister at the time was the Duke of Newcastle. He had gone to No. 10 to transact some business with Pitt. The two did not get along. Maybe that was why…
View original post 130 more words